July 29, 2010

Horror & Me pt 2



on how it began...

OK, the the anecdote goes something like this, it was 1986, our neighbors across the street, some kids a bit older than me, invited my sister to watch Halloween... me, because of my age wasn't invited.

So after a tantrum, my mom gave me the option: "You can rent a horror film, but you'll also rent a kid's film"

The big deal it was, mainly because back in those days, Channel 5 (owned by Televisa) used to schedule horror films every Friday night, somewhat edited for TV (in most cases they only cut out nudity, not the gore or the violence)

The first hunt to one of the near independent video stores ended with Carrie & The Care Bears Movie as the memorable first rentals of this family deal

Soon enough I was only renting horror, and after a few months, I was lucky enough to rent Halloween, when a department store that nowadays only sells clothes and some accessories had a video store: Suburbia (insert Pet Shop Boys soundtrack)

Now, a confession, I don't own a copy of Halloween, and I actually don't think is the perfection of film that most claim, that Carpenter guy really gets away with so many plot holes... but I like it, and may own it soon, really soon

No comments: